Get exclusive content in your inbox each Monday. Theres also a lot of new recent PEER REVIEWED soil science that demonstrates this. The farmers are now starving or have moved on as the soils wont grow anything anymore, they have become dirt. I doubt this will require an agent or a move haha! These cookies do not store any personal information. For me, its a plant-exclusive diet and for you it might be eating plant-based before dinner often the perfect place for people to start. Either way, shifting the typical diet in such a way is a certain win for humanity and all life on Earth, and thus something that not only should have been made clearer in Kiss the ground, but something that everyone reading should strongly consider. Simple reducing emission does nothing to decrease the greenhouse gases that are already in our atmosphere. Skip on down to the final thoughts if you dont have time to get more into the facts! In the 1930s the Dust Bowl was created. These will be using less chemicals and therefore come from healthier soils than normal veg; hugely better for soil biodiversity, natural biodiversity and your health. We have now decoupled these so farmers are either crop or livestock, and each are done on an intensive scale, with no natural cycles in place. Everyone can grow a bit of lettuce or chard, some leeks and some French beans in a small garden, or even most of these on a balcony! Heres the big picture: a wide-screen projection of the surface of the Earth. Less meat to go around and significantly higher prices per unit. After all, this method of grazing, which Gabe Brown and Alan Savory speak about at length, is being positioned in the documentary as the solution we have all been waiting for to reverse climate change. Autor de l'entrada Per ; Data de l'entrada calexico west port of entry hours; 12 month libor rate 2021 a kiss the ground fact checking a kiss the ground fact checking Bare ground is hotter in the day, and cooler at night; threatening the microorganism populations within, and increases water evaporation, as the ground temperatures rise, the soils become dryer, again, impairing the ecosystem the microorganisms exist within. So what we are talking about here is how to better use the land dedicated to animal agriculture (83 percent of all agricultural land) that is responsible for 80 percent of food-related greenhouse gas emissions yet provides only 18 percent of our total calories. He's a lover of people and of life. There are no simple solutions to complex problems. This carbon is then absorbed by plants, which use it in their cells and leak into the soils in the form of sugars. These carbon rich sugars are used by microorganisms in the soil and (in return for providing minerals and other soil nutrients to the plant roots) secrete a carbon rich glue to hold effectively build their mini environments under the surface. have no problems. Although, when I watched it for the third time, it became obvious that the biology 101 lessons from Ray were cleverly used to dance around the fact there is no solid science to back up Savory and Browns claims. Great news! In fact, it was the single most important thing that lead Savory to question the science regarding overgrazing. . Heres below are just a handful of recent PEER REVIEWED papers supporting HPG. Eco-friendly eating - better for your health and the planet :). Grow your own veg using your home compost! I dont understand how they didnt emphasize that you still have to eat a plant rich diet if you want everyone in the world to eat pasture raised animals Theres only so much to land and hence animals you can raise. The trouble is, our farmers are not taught this; our growers know nothing about how the soil works or the basic ecological principles. Enterprise, AL 36330. Registration confirmation will be emailed to you. Im not suggesting we should only be changing our diet but given it has greater potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions you would think it would have been given more emphasis than putting cows on pasture. This is the central statement of Kiss the Ground, an eco-educational Netflix documentary directed and produced by Josh and Rebecca Tickell.On-the-ground agricultural practices carried out by millions of individual farmers directly affect the health of the soil, and by extension, global atmospheric carbon levels and the pace of climate change. You also have the option to opt-out of these cookies. Essentially, Hawken and his team have created a long list of approximately 100 solutions, which when implemented together, would be capable of drawing down more carbon than we are emitting by 2050. However, there is a slight problem with the way they presented the information from the Drawdown report. Having dedicated many years to researching and communicating the science behind an optimal diet for humans, I understand first hand how our health isinextricably tied to the planets(as detailed inmy upcoming book). This is the central statement of Kiss the Ground, an eco-educational Netflix documentary directed and produced by Josh and Rebecca Tickell. If youve seen The People vs. Larry Flynt in all of its obscenity, like I did in Constitutional Law last semester, youll be a little surprised to hear the voice of actor Woody Harrelson narrating a documentary about social and environmental issues. Chemical fertilisers mask the problem of degraded soils by providing the basics for plant growth, but also exacerbate the soil microorganism damage. A plant-rich dietary pattern that places emphasis on regeneration but really could be chopped in a number of ways to suit the individual Mediterranean, paleo, pescatarian, vegetarian, vegan, etc can all be done in a plant-predominant manner. One of the . Jeff Creque, Rangeland Director, Carbon Cycle Institute. But tilling is incredibly intrusive to the soil structures, destroying the balance of microbial life which create organic matter and help the plants get the nutrients to grow. If you cant get them into a council waste system, there are a variety of small compost bins you can put in your garden at home. are needed to help heal the earth. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Kiss the Ground is a new, feature-length movie that explores key soil health and regenerative agricultural principles, and features interviews with a wide range of authors, experts, farmers, researchers and scientists. This seems like pretty important information that was left off the table. (Source: Kiss the Ground). Filmmakers Josh Tickell and Rebecca Tickell wound up spending seven years making their latest doc, "Kiss the Ground," and all along the way they worried that by the end of the process there . Rising animal production and consumption, whatever the farming system and animal type, is causing damaging greenhouse gas release and contributing to changes in land use. Its not too long, but youll learn a lot from it. Kris: When I was working as the Chief Scientist with the Rodale Institute, I was asked to be interviewed by the Kiss the Ground team who were also interviewing Maria Rodale. I just heard of the movie and wanted to find out a little more about it until I get time to watch it. Look no further than Kiss the Ground, a newly-released Netflix documentary that explores the relationship between climate change and dirt. And lets not forget, this is the same man who ordered40,000 African elephants to slaughterbecause he incorrectly thought they were damaging the land. But the agreement is that all of the richest grasslands in the world have large grazing animals. I dont know a single holistic management practitioner that advocates cutting down forests to grow more cattle. You can make change and make a difference, even if you have struggled in the past to make change and feel like a failure. Please read our Comment policy before commenting. The lazy author of this review makes the same mistaken claim. A Case Study in a Cambodian Orphanage. If you have found your way to this article, I can only assume that we have something in common: both of us want to see a better world where humans and all life on earth is thriving. Your email address will not be published. Impacts of soil carbon sequestration on life cycle greenhouse gas emissions in Midwestern USA beef finishing systems. Id be willing to donate it to them. "Kiss the Ground" is based on the fact that modern industrial agriculture is devastating our planet. As a side note, the documentary routinely employed uses numerous fear-mongering tactics to scare the viewer into grasping for whatever solution comes next. Tilling and chemical agricultural methods have disrupted this cycle and increased the rate of carbon release. The problem is, the lay viewer who is not across the science, and blinded by the message of hope, is likely to confuse the role of cows in holistic grazing with instruction that we should continue eating meat at current rates (as long as its grass-fed) and perhaps even double down on our meat consumption. There are sites where this has been done, and what was desert is now lush grassland with grasses growing taller than people. Every version got better, and the last version was the best one. A major criticism is that there is a lack of science to back up claims. Kiss the Ground is a nonprofit on a mission to awaken people to the possibilities of regeneration and inspire participation in this movement by educating and engaging through media, communications . Using compelling graphics and visuals, along with striking NASA and NOAA footage, the film artfully illustrates how, by drawing down atmospheric carbon, soil is . But crop subsidies from the federal government complicate the economics of agriculture. Ray: Initially, when I first met the Kiss the Ground group, I told them that I was really concerned about how they should approach the landowners. Unfortunately not as much as I had hoped. But here too Garnett doesnt understand the science. I was interested in clicking through at there are many types of regenerative agriculture that do not involve animals for more information, but that currently just links back to this article. Weaker soils need more chemicals. Because not only does this mean less greenhouse gas-emitting ruminant animals, but it means we can draw down more carbon from the atmosphere forests are typically far better at doing this than grasslands. If we restore all the degraded land, we can return the earth to paradise, making room for biodiversity and feeding the worlds population (with lowered animal protein consumption). This is actually seen using satellites which monitor the CO2 levels. Given soil grows 95 per cent of our food, and sustains human life, this is a huge problem. The NFL quarterback goes to bed earlier than any college student has ever dreamed of, and his diet is impeccably healthy. Gabe: Yes, I am very optimistic about our future if regenerative practices are widely adopted. Despite all of this, my fear is that many will be left with a complete misunderstanding of where environmental science truly lies. With that said, any time a new study, book, documentary, or other media publication is published, I read or watch with great interest. Now all debates have two sides and Savory has been confronted with this information before. In other words, his claims cannot be supported by data, replicated by others and he doesnt believe in science. Real change requires drawdown: year to year reduction in carbon dioxide levels. Consumers falsely see meat as part of the solution, and although they may do their best to seek out regenerative meat (

Rebecca Birdsall Wiki, Pritzker Group Companies, "tesla" "offer Negotiation", Articles K